Tuesday, March 20, 2012

It's all about layering...

We planted a few Blushing Bride Hydrangea the first year we moved here and I love them! They have grown big and lush in front of the house. Since planting them, I have sprouted a few new plants by layering and have since filled the hydrangea bed without buying additional plants.


In anticipation of this year, I prepared for another new plant last August. I just bent a branch down and put a brick over it. I did this in the back so you can't see the layering process. See that hole in the above picture on the far left. Yep, need to fill that in. I checked today and the new plant looks rooted and ready to move!


The branch has already started to bud around the brick.


I lift the brick off and voila! You can see that the branch has rooted.
 

But surprise, I have two different plants rooting. I usually only get 1.


I snip the branch off of its mother....


.....separate them and then gently dig up the twins and move them to where they are needed.






With a little fresh water they are good to go, will triple in size before the year is out and give me gorgeous blooms like this....for free!


1 comment:

  1. Congratulations to successfully propagating a hydrangea, I am utterly impressed! It almost looks like it has been easy :-). The row of 'Blushing Bride' hydrangeas in your front yard is very beautiful and healthy. I have an 'Endless Summer' Hydrangea, which is supposed to bloom a light blue, but because my soil and water is very alkaline it blooms pink. I would love to get a Blushing Bride hydrangea as well. Maybe this year...
    Christina

    ReplyDelete