Sunday, March 11, 2012

Cookie Contender?

For years, my mom and I have attempted to make the perfect chocolate chip cookie. We have scored countless cookbook and blogs trying to find that allusive perfection. We learned tricks from different recipes. Some said to use bread flour, some said to add pudding mix. Dori Greenspan  says that cookie dough should be refrigerated overnight. (Actually, a person should pretty much always do what Dori says regarding baking. She's usually always right). Or, from the NY Times "best chocolate chip cookie" recipe that claimed it was all about adding salt.

Anyway...I baked up another batch today and I think these may be contenders for the title. I went back to a very simple recipe from Toll House and adapted the ingredients. I know...seems too easy right? Here's the recipe...if you make these, it's very important to use the exact brand of ingredients recommended, I think that's why they came out so good. If not, I can't be held responsible!

I doubled my recipe which is why the quantities are so huge. I mean, if you're going to spend the time, do it once right?!

4 1/2 cups of King Arthur all-purpose floor
2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. of sea salt (not regular table salt)
4 sticks of Land o'Lakes Light Butter
1 cup of granulated sugar
3/4 cup of dark brown sugar
3/4 cup of light brown sugar ( I think the different brown sugars is the secret...)
2 tsp. of vanilla (not the cheep stuff from grocery store but from Penzys)
4 extra large eggs
Milk Chocolate chips (Ghiredelli is yummy. I just put in about 2 cups)
Nuts (if your husband will let you add them. Mine won't)

I beat the butter, sugars, vanilla and eggs together for at least 5 minutes on high until creamy. Then dumped in all the dry ingredients slowly.



Love an ice-cream scoop for the batter
Put in the fridge overnight and then preheat oven to 375 degrees and back for 12 minutes. Add a tiny  pinch of sea salt on the top. They come out a bit chewy, a bit cakey, crisp around the edges but soft in the middle.


Let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment