Saturday, February 25, 2012

Too Cold to Prune

I was going to start pruning this weekend, but we had a cold spell yesterday with a ton of rain, so it's muddy and cold out. Gusty winds are bringing March in like a lion. So instead, we'll stay in and finish the kitchen this afternoon (I say we, but I'm over here blogging while David is busy getting ready to caulk). I did manage to snap a few shots of the tulip bed today. They are coming up pretty fast now. I can't wait to show you what this bed looks like in full bloom. Last year it was pretty spectacular.




I just realized that I am out of bulb fertilizer so ordered some to come in early next week. Around here, if you want your bulbs to come up as perennials, you have to feed them. I usually do it now, when they are starting to come up versus in the fall. I use a lot of Dr. Earth products and love their Bulb Food for my tulips and daffies. Frustrated that Home Depot doesn't have its garden center open yet and my local nursery is still closed until next week. Doesn't this seem late?


We planted over 300 bulbs in this area a few years ago and they are laying under a cover of chicken wire so the squirrels can't get to them. So far, our furry friends haven't figured it out. Hah!

No comments:

Post a Comment