Friday, July 6, 2012

My no-sew curtain panel

These panels are probably really easy to make with a sewing machine but alas, I have discovered that I cannot sew a straight line and a panel like the one I wanted for the bathroom would absolutely require straight lines, so instead turned to stitch wichery tape. I also needed to line this panel since the window faces the porch. It will be held on the window by 2 tension rods. One on the top and one on the bottom. Since we never open the current shutters on this window, I just wanted a pretty piece of fabric that wouldn't move.

Here's the window....


And here's the line-up of all the stuff required to make the panel. Starting with really cute fabric from Serena and Lily that is a taupe and grey pattern on ivory and some black-out lining I ordered from Amazon.


I cut the S&L fabric to fit the window and left 2 inches on either side. Pinned the sides and ironed this so I would have some stiff creases to guide me.


I then cut the lining to match this size. Unpinned the edges and placed the lining on the back of the pretty fabric. I started with the long sides first. Using the stitch wichery, twice for each side, I folded the edges once, ironed and then again, so the raw edge wouldn't be visible. The lining got nicely glued onto the fabric on the last fold over.


One side all done....and straight. Yippee!


Once the sides were done, started on the top and bottom which had to accommodate the tension rods.


The tension rods fit nicely within the pocket. Again, ordered these from Amazon (the ones at Home Depot are terrible).


Ta-da! Here's the back of the completed curtain panel....


And here's the front. Will install it on the tension rods once the bathroom is done. I think it turned out pretty well considering that it didn't require a stitch. If I had to do it over again I would have centered the pattern a bit better, but c'est la vie. I'll remember for next time.


This project took about 40 minutes and it's the perfect colors for the bathroom. Very happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment