Sunday, June 17, 2012

Blushing Brides, Stargazers and others

The Blushing Bride hydrangeas that cover the front patio are in full bloom. These are white with a tint of blue. Actually, the one closest to the garage has a slight pink tint. I can't explain why they would be different colors in the same bed. More aluminum in the soil on the left than on the right? Without the front trees for shade, they are looking a bit burnt around the edges but still looking good. I'm a little worried about how they'll do without any shade when July comes...I have three Compassion roses in the white planters you can see to the right. These climbers were supposed to climb up the poles but they are getting SP'd soon. They have been sickly since I bought them own root last year. I just have no luck with own roots unless they come from Antique Rose Emporium. I think these will be changed out with City of Yorks next year from Pickering.






The first of the oriental lilies have bloomed as well. I have a crop of Stargazers that are among the first bulbs I planted in the front garden and I still love them. They have tripled in quantity and smell wonderful. That's a Tigers Eye Sumac peaking up in the background and a Actaea Black Negligee. The Black Negligee needs shade so we'll see how she does without the trees. The sumac is actually a plant that I moved to the back, but because of the suckering, I have baby plants like this all through the bed as well as the rose bed behind the boxwood. Probably a huge mistake to plant the sumac, but I love it in the fall when it turns bright reddish orange.



Longiflorum Lilies in the back of the bed.


The last of the red Asiatics still in bloom.


And just a little random fun....a poppy that looks like a big pom-pom in the front of the bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment